Macklin Hartley Specialist Software Engineering and User Experience Analyst
I am a Software Developer with over 7 years of experience building highly scalable distributed systems. I'm am passionate for modern design patterns and architectures such as Domain Driven Design, Event Sourcing and CQRS.
I am an advocate for creating cultures of ownership, accountability, transparency and trust. I'm a strong believer in the value of continuous delivery, and deploying software frequently with a high degree of automation.
In my spare time I love mentoring and volunteering my time to helping others grow. I've had the opportunity to speak at DDD Perth, a local tech conference. I have also volunteered my time and expertise on a number of occasions at Perth Web Girls and other mentoring meetups.
- UI/UX Design
- Payments Processing
- Domain Driven Design
- Event Sourcing
- Distributed Systems
- Continuous Delivery
- Software Architecture & Design
Senior Engineer - VGW May 2018 - Present
- Worked with the back-office and payments engineering teams to develop reliable and secure centralised microservices.
- Helped to build a robust and scalable payments processing architecture atop Kubernetes hosted on Amazon's EKS platform that handled over US$350m in payments per year.
- Implemented low latency metrics and observability tools for ensuring the availability and reliability of payments processing, achieving an availability of over 99.95%.
- Designed a credit card routing platform to optimise for authorisation rate and fee structure based on various factors including BIN ranges, applying an benefit of up to US$30m in yearly revenue.
- Helped advocate for culture of continuous delivery, creating a platform that enabled teams to deploy releases frequently (100+ deployments/month) with a high degree of automation.
- Designed the organisation’s first service level agreement, setting the bar for a culture of ownership, accountability, transparency and trust.
Developer - Cash Converters September 2016 - May 2018
- Developed new platform for online application process using ASP.Net Core API’s and a cutting-edge ReactJS front-end.
- Redeveloped tool for gathering supporting documents for applicants, improving speed, uptime and redundancy.
- Integrated live chat system and 2FA into existing applications.
- Developed a prototype for a next-generation CMS using Jekyll static site generator and presented findings to the team.
- Ran presentations to senior management on the benefits of web accessibility.
Developer - NEC Australia September 2012
- Developed an online portal for the Department of Water to manage water resources and licensing
- Lead user-experience and accessibility analyst for online platform
- Added change tracking feature to online retention and disposal application
- Enhanced error handling for Word Document import service
- Assisted in developing responsive stylesheets for mobile-first volunteer application for St John Ambulance
Every Good Outage Starts with a Queue DDD Perth 2019
I was nominated to present my talk 'Every Good Outage Starts with a Queue’ at the DDD Perth 2019 conference. The talk covered my experiences with the subtle complexities of distributed software engineering.
View the slides here
Web Accessibility In Practice Presentation for Localhost Meetup
I gave a presentation to the Localhost PER meetup in August of 2016 on practical methods to design and test for accessibility from my experiences as an applications developer.
View the slides here
GovHack 2017 Collaborate Metrics
At GovHack 2017 I worked with a group of friends to build a metric for collaboration based off the IP Government Open Data initiative. We used records of successful patent applications with more than one applicant in order to build a 'collaboration score' and mapped the scores to administrative regions across Australia.
On October 14th 2017, our project won the Marketplaces Hack award at the National GovHack Red Carpet Awards.
Read about the project here
View a live demo here
DDD Perth UX/UI work
I assisted in improving the accessibility and user experience of the DDD Perth website.
Perth Web Girls Mentoring
Bachelor of Computer Science Curtin University
During my time at Curtin University I fostered the skills required to communicate and manage my time effectively. I graduated from Curtin University at the end of 2012.